Monday, July 9, 2012

I Am The Egg, Man

 
Aren't you glad you are free to choose the style of music you enjoy listening to?  The style of music offered during religious services is a personal & private preference. It surprises folks to hear that I love listening to simple, traditional hymns during services as opposed to large choirs which include large band ensembles. I have tremendous respect for the more elaborate music presentations which I find beautiful and chock full of exquisite musicianship, but I enjoy using that private time as a calming, peace-generating moment. Interestingly, Maggie and I shared a passion for solemn, traditional church hymns which is quite ironic given the appreciation we have for much louder tunes. My church usually rotates piano music one week and acoustic guitar backed with one or two soloists the following.  As of late, the church is undergoing renovations and we don't have access to the piano, so we've been having a lot of acoustic guitar & solo/duet singing.
 
I noticed at the past couple of services there was a percussion sound included in the gentle, acoustic guitar hymns. I couldn't place the instrument until yesterday when I saw the skilled musician. During the first hymn, the guitar began to strum and I noticed a young boy, probably about 8 years old, with a huge smile & big eyeglasses.  He was looking around as if he was following a butterfly when he dug his hands into his Levi jeans pocket & pulled out a powder blue egg. The cool egg shaker that you see at the music store that provides simple, yet effective percussion to a song.
 
Immediately I noticed how the fellow never looked at a sheet of paper, never made eye contact with the other musicians (which looked like his dad & sister), he just simply shook that egg exactly on the precise beat. Everytime. Didn't miss a beat, didn't mangle the sound, just played it beautifully and perfectly.  It entered my mind that someone needs to get that boy a drum kit.
 
I was very struck by the talent from this little guy and made a note to myself to tell him so sometime. 
It was a beautiful, blessed sight which made me feel proud for him and for the people of our nation who can worship & listen however we please.
 
Enjoy a recipe from Recipe Records cookbook:
 I am the Eggs, Man!  On page 136--it's sure to be a favorite
 
If you don't have the book....you can get it at www.reciperecords.webs.com ($19.95 + s/h) or simple shoot me an email & I'll send you the recipe!   reciperecordsml@aol.com
 
 
MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT ----  I will be hosting my own internet radio show--my first show--this Sunday, July 15th at 2:00 p.m.
You can tune in for the short show (15 minutes) - or you may retrieve the show at a later date, as it will be saved
 
The show is at :   www.blogtalkradio.com   
in the search box enter:     recipe records
 
My first guest is Katy Wolfe Brandes, a childhood buddy & author, university recruiter & MOM. She has 2 novellas that have been published:  Contained and Tests of Will.
I'll also be talking to Evansville band:  The Phoenix Down 
 
Rock On.
 
Lanea Stagg
Recipe Records
 
 
 

No comments: