Thursday, April 25, 2013

Blimey.....



While trying to deal with vision misfortune, I have had to sport a very nifty eye patch, which really cramps my "style."
While munching on Cap'n Crunch Cereal in my arrrrg patch, I thought I'd do a little research on pirate music. I had two choices--talk about the high sea adventure music of those nasty boys .... or discuss the politics associated with downloading music illegally (pirating) and robbing artists of their just due.

I choose pirate music.

The nautical hymns were born in the ship days when crews were confined to their ships for weeks, perhaps months at a time.  The long voyages on the high seas required intense hard labor from the crews for loading/unloading ships and pulling all those giant ropes to sail the trecherous sea. The sea chanteys were used to boost morale & increase work ethic. The sailors incorporated their colorful sea adventures into songs that wreaked of drunken sailors, violent ship captains and love. 

I stumbled upon a new release of pirate ballads & sea songs called "Son of Rogues Gallery-Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs & Chanteys" and it is magnificent. It's not a Disney CD...it's real, grown up pirate stuff with foul words & vivid descriptions of their grunt work & other seedy activities, which truly describes the depth of emotion & that's what makes it so enchanting to this almost-grown adult.
This second volume of sea chanteys cooks up offerings such as "The Mermaid" by Patti Smith & Johnny Depp, "Leaving Liverpool" by Shane MacGowan, and many more with Marianne Faithfull, Tim Robbins, Iggy Pop, Macy Gray, Dr. John and Todd Rundgren.
I was particularly smitten with the song "Row Bullies Row" which is sung by Sean Lennon & Charlotte Kemp Muhl about the Liverpool girls who got 'em "in tow." Lennon, the son of another rogue - John, has a genetic link to the sea as his grandfather, Freddie Lennon, was a rousing sailor in the Merchant Navy. I've coincidentally been reading a lot lately about John's love of the sea and a trip that John & Sean shared in Bermuda...sailing the sea & singing their songs, making this song even more endearing.

Having grown up very near the Missouri River...I couldn't resist sharing this stirring pirate ballad, "Shenandoah" by Tom Waits & Keith Richards...who are the closest thing to pirate rock stars that I've ever heard. Their voices are strong, yet curiously tender....I can see those guys, sittin' 'round ye fire, scruffy faces & jugs o' wine...  
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJgWaqwZml4

I found the CD available on iTunes and Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Son-Rogues-Gallery-Ballads-Chanteys/dp/B00AITV2NM


 
Ahoy Mates,
Lanea Stagg
Recipe Records Cookbooks
www.reciperecordscookbook.com
lanea@reciperecordscookbook.com
 

$20 off! April 26 thru May 3:
Mother's Day Special  -   All books are on sale in honor of those special ladies! Moms, Sisters, Aunts, Friends...they all deserve to be recognized on Mother's Day! Beginning Friday, April 26, Recipe Records Cookbooks will be on Sale! Receive $20 off a set of all 3 books!!  Regularly priced at $63 -  a set of 3 books will be $43 for a very short time (plus $5 s/h)
www.reciperecordscookbook.com  to place your order
(This offer is for my readers only -- but please share it with your friends, too ;)

I remembered having Cap'n Crunch chicken strips at Planet Hollywood years ago & I found a link for a recipe. Your sailors will sail the ocean blue to partake of these vittles.....

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Planet-Hollywood-Chicken-Crunch-Recipe.html


*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
I won't have a radio show this week...but tune into one of these past episodes:

Wanna know what ONE musician intimidated Jimi Hendrix?  Listen to this show:   http://www.blogtalkradio.com/recipe-records-cookbook/2013/04/11/scuse-me-while-i-kiss-the-sky-1

Wanna hear May Pang's call into my show?  (May was John Lennon's former girlfriend)
Listen to this show:  http://www.blogtalkradio.com/recipe-records-cookbook/2013/02/14/loves-of-john

I have so many interesting guests--check out all of them!  Chef Barbie Marshall, musician/promoter Gregg Kirk, authors Susan Masino, David Bedford & Dave Thompson, Rocket Scientists: Naked Singularity..... too many to name!
Go to www.blogtalkradio.com   in the search box, enter:   Recipe Records Cookbook  
& you'll get a list of all colorful episodes.


 John's Blurb - with Jude Southerland Kessler

“And in the end, the love you make
Is equal to the love you take.”
-John Lennon and Paul McCartney

Let me tell you about my pharmacist. He’s freakin’ mean.
He never talks to you directly.  He sends his minions (dripping with eye rolls and sighs, as if you’re driving them to the brink just by refilling a prescription) to “deal with you.” And if he’s ever forced into talking to a customer, face to face, he makes it clear that it’s the ultimate interruption of his very important day.
After a miserable encounter with him last Friday, I spent the weekend rehearsing a little speech that I wanted to give him about how his job affords him the chance to cheer people who are suffering. I wanted to say that he has the opportunity to make people smile, to lift heavy hearts, to make a real difference in the world. I practiced (in my mind, of course) telling him that he has the choice to continue hating everyone and helping no one or the choice to open his heart to “all the lonely people” and to start serving humanity, helping others, being a part of the answer and not the problem.
And then it hit me. I have those same choices! I can choose to be nice to him, to show him kindness, to live out the little speech I’d planned to offer to him, free of charge.
John Lennon believed that the love you give away is the love that comes back to you…except that he said it much better than that.
I think John might tell me quite directly that I need to keep my speech for myself. 
Darn it all! Just when I had my eye rolls and sighs all perfectly rehearsed.  J.S.K.



Please check out
the outstanding
children's program
at Willard Library
this summer - http://www.willard.lib.in.us/
My friend Rhonda will answer any questions you have about their awesome summer activities connected to "weird science."

 
 
 
 

No comments: